Golden, crunchy, nutty and delicious, this homemade muesli bar slice is a great substitute for store-bought, sugar-laden muesli bars.
Gone are the days of buying average muesli bars from the supermarket aisle. You know exactly what you’re putting into these muesli bars and you can take my word for it that they will nourish and fill you so much better. Perfect to take to the office, throw in your kids lunches boxes, have ready in the fridge for those 3 pm cravings, breakfast and snacks on the go.
They will also store well for a long time in the freezer in a snap lock bag ready to whip out whenever you need them. I keep mine in the freezer so I can grab one out when I have long, busy days at Uni, the perfect snack to keep me going!
Only ½ cup of honey (or sweetener of your choice) and a sprinkle of dried fruit is used across the whole recipe which can make 16-20 portions! This recipe is so easy to make and is very versatile. You can substitute any of these dry ingredients with your favourite seeds and nuts or whatever you have at home to make it your own. You could even pimp it up by adding in chunks of dark chocolate!
I really hope you enjoy this recipe and make sure to post a photo on Instagram, tag me and hashtag #gabbypalmereats so that I can see your great creations!
Gabby Palmer xx
*Gluten Free options
*Dairy Free option
- 1 cup wholegrain ‘jumbo oats’(*use gluten-free oats or quinoa flakes if you are gluten-free)
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- ½ cup flaxseed/linseeds
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- ½ cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup walnuts (or any other nut of your choice)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut.
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup goji berries (or any dried fruit of your choice)
- 2/3 cup coconut oil (you could also use melted butter)
- 2/3 cup peanut butter (you can use any nut butter)
- ½ cup honey (you can also use rice malt or maple syrup)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees bake.
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients except for the goji berries (dried fruit).
- Spread these dry ingredients onto two baking trays and bake for 20-30 mins, taking out every 10 mins to mix so they become evenly toasted. Bake until golden brown.
- Remove oven and leave to cool. Once cooled place back in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a saucepan over low heat and melt until combine
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to combine. The mixture should be wet, if it is too dry then you can add 1T extra of any wet ingredient until you get the desired wet texture.
- Pour into a lined, square baking tray and compress down until tightly compacted.
- Leave to set in the fridge for min 3 hours before cutting into bars. (The longer you leave it to set the easier it will be to cut into bars).
Store this slice in the fridge or freezer.