How-to guide for Barre Base Online Classes
By Rosa Anderson - Jones
Kia ora, everyone.
Firstly, I just want to thank you all for the incredible response to our online classes, and to Barre Base Anywhere (more to come on this soon). This community is so strong, and I feel very privileged to be surrounded by so much positivity. At times like this, we need each other more than ever. I feel your love, and I really want to make sure ours sits with you over this time — sending our vibes through the live stream!
As mentioned, we will be running both physical and online classes as of next week. We really want to do our part to support our community, so please bear with us as we work through this new style of teaching! We know we can all do it, and we also think we can have some fun along the way.
For now, these classes are being filmed from the Barre Base studio using a live-streaming app called Zoom.
It’s really important to me that we all have routines and structures in place throughout this disruptive time. If you’re working from home or self-isolating, ensuring that you have to “show-up” to a class at a certain time will go a long way to helping keep your hauora in check. Trust me, I have worked remotely for years so I have learnt some tricks along the way!
All current members will have access to these classes, and we will assess which physical classes will remain as time goes on.
Current members can book into these classes as they would for any other physical classes.
We are offering a new “online-only” membership for $20 per week. This gives you access to all online classes on the schedule — and we assume that the frequency of these will increase as time goes on. If we have to shut our doors entirely, all memberships will drop to this price.
Casual and concessions will still be accepted, and we will organise online payments via the internet.
Here’s an update on how it all works (for now… I am sure we will tweak our systems once we become ultra-high-tech).
What you will need:
- Laptop or iPad to watch along (or connect to your TV via an HDMI cable or chrome-cast)
- A space to move.
- A chair for barre classes
- We suggest you purchase: Massage balls and yoga blocks for Stretch & Lengthen and Self Care (you can purchase from us). Yoga block, booty bands, a ball and sliders for barre classes. These are all optional and won’t be used in the first week, but in time, it might be nice to be able to mix up our workouts with props. Kmart and the Warehouse have a few options for sale.
- Spotify (if you like to listen to the same music we will be moving to from the studio). The paid option will remove adverts and keep you in time with us.
- If you usually pay casually or via a concession card, you will need to pay online for this session prior to attending. Please email in to get the banking details. We recommend using concessions over this time for convenience if you're not a member.
- These classes are capped! So please only book in if you intend to show up. We think it's important to keep this rule in place for you all... having a time/place to "be" right now is key to helping us maintain healthy routines.
- If you have any issues with Zoom, please let us know. We suggest you practice logging in before well your class so we can help with troubleshooting.
- Please show up 5 minutes before the session. We will need to all start at the same time.
- This video explains how to book your class: https://vimeo.com/399308877
- The link in your email confirmation (check spam if you can’t find it) will have a link to Zoom. Clicking this should automatically trigger a download option of this app.
- The app automatically opens with your camera off, but your sound on. So please choose to either turn your camera on if you wish, or you can stay off if you’re camera shy.
- We suggest that you listen along to our Spotify playlists (this will also be shared with you before the class begins). The teacher will cue you when to push play so that we can all hear the music at the same time. For copyright reasons, we cannot play this aloud.
- If you don’t wish to use Spotify, feel free to put any music on in the background and just move with our voice cues.
- This link explains how to get a Spotify account, https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/getting_started/getting-started/
- Once we get going, I will mute you all so we don’t get noise feedback (sorry). There will be time for chatter before and after classes so we can all touch base and keep our community strong.
With this being such a changeable time, I apologise in advance if we have to adapt as time goes on. I am working as hard as I can to make these changes as simple as possible for us all.
I am more than happy to help you get set up. If we have issues, I can jump on a video call with you and help you get yourself set up. So please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
I have a few other exciting announcements to make this coming week — so stay tuned via email, our blog, or through our Barre Base Members Facebook group.
Sending my love and strength to you all at this very tricky time.
Ngā mihi nui,